Job Title : Ethiopia Project Manager
Date Posted/Updated : Thursday, March 15, 2018
Application Deadline : Saturday, March 31, 2018
Job Type : Full Time
Category : Economics
Job Code :
Description : Organization: Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD)
Position: Ethiopia Project Manager
Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) seeks an Ethiopia Project Manager to support PAD research, operations, and scale-up activities by overseeing multiple projects in collaboration with Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) and other key partner organizations. PAD was established with a keen eye towards rigorous evaluation and constant experimentation.
PAD is a US-based non-profit organization with a mission to support smallholder farmers in developing countries by providing customized agricultural information and services that increase productivity, profitability, and environmental sustainability. PAD is pioneering a model for agricultural extension: delivering farmers personalized agricultural advice via their mobile phones. PAD implements this model in collaboration with partner organizations and gathers evidence on its impact. PAD aims to improve the lives of 100 million farmers in developing countries with its services.
The initial phase of PAD’s work consisted of testing the impact of similar mobile phone-based agricultural extension services in multiple contexts across the developing world. That research found that while careful attention to design and context and careful evaluation was critical, mobile phone-based agricultural extension could increase adoption of appropriate farm management practices, yields, and incomes, with point estimates suggesting a benefit cost ratio of 10/1. Based on our initial evidence around a proof of concept technology, PAD began working with partners capable of scaling and further testing this approach, while simultaneously continuing to build its own research efforts.
A key element of our approach is helping partners with wide reach – such as governments, contract farming organizations, telecommunications firms, agribusiness, and NGOs – to design, build, evaluate, and improve customized mobile phone-based agricultural advisory systems. We help partners structure and improve their service offerings through incorporation of the latest availability technologies and data as well as insights from behavioral economics and social learning theory. Taking a global approach, we bring experience on what has worked elsewhere to every engagement and continue to optimize to local contexts using A/B testing and rigorous evaluation. PAD currently has operations in four countries (India, Kenya, Pakistan, Ethiopia), is advising a partner in Rwanda, and is working towards new endeavors in Ecuador and Uganda. These opportunities have allowed PAD to reach over 345,000 farmers by end-2017, both with our own services and research efforts as well as through partnerships.
The Ethiopia Project Manager will be responsible for the following main tasks:
• Work closely with PAD team members and our partner organizations to identify, develop, and launch new projects;
• Actively engage and supervise the implementation of various projects including implementing improvements to existing ATA systems, conducting farmer focus groups, managing data collection activities, data cleaning and analysis, and writing reports;
• Participate in developing project proposals;
• Maintain excellent relationship and communication with our partners to ensure the success of our projects;
• Support the dissemination of project results via presentations and reports;
• Manage 1-2 junior staff members; and
• Manage project budgets and timelines, as needed.
• Full time
• Start date: 1st of April, or ASAP
• Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel to rural areas
• Compensation: commensurate with experience
Qualifications/Skills : Qualifications and experience
• A master’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, public policy, business, or a closely related field
• Strong understanding of statistics
• At least 3-5 years’ experience managing projects preferably in the developing world
• Experience managing a team
• Strong writing and oral communication skills in English
• Experience speaking and giving presentations in public
• Ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholders
• Willingness and ability to work under tight timelines, and willingness to travel to project areas and internationally
• Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
• Experience and ability to work in multicultural settings
• Experience in smallholder agriculture and the developing world
• Private sector consulting experience a plus
• Knowledge of one Ethiopian language is preferred
Education Level : Master's
Experience : 3-5 years
City : Addis Ababa with travel
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!